In 2011, the Baltimore metropolitan region received a Sustainable Communities Regional Planning Grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). As a result of this award, entities from our region who apply for certain federal grant programs are eligible to request Preferred Sustainability Status (PSS) certification from the Baltimore Metropolitan Council (BMC). PSS certification gives an application special consideration and/or bonus points from the awarding federal agency.
Who is eligible for PSS certification?
Any entity (governmental or non-governmental) within the Baltimore metropolitan region applying for a federal grant that recognizes PSS may request certification from BMC. Our region includes Baltimore City, and Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Harford and Howard Counties.
Do all federal grants recognize PSS certification?
No. Only certain federal grant programs recognize PSS. The Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) will clearly state whether a particular grant program recognizes PSS and the type of consideration to be awarded. The majority, but not all, of the grant programs that recognize PSS are HUD programs.
How does my application get certified for PSS?
Certification requests should be emailed to Mike Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org) and include a short description of the application (limit 2 pages), with the following information.
- A short narrative of the proposed project/program including the location of the project, with any relevant information about transportation choices to the location and/or nearby housing choices. The short narrative must include the name of the applicant and the name of the federal program to which you are applying.
- How the proposed project aligns with one or more of the Livability Principles? The Livability Principles are:
- Provide more transportation choices.
- Promote equitable, affordable housing.
- Enhance economic competitiveness.
- Support existing communities.
- Coordinate and leverage federal policies and investment.
- Value communities and neighborhoods.
- Protecting the Chesapeake Bay.
Advance notice of intent to apply is appreciated.